Contented Heart Quilt Guild
Quilt Show Categories and Rules
Categories for 2017 quilt show and the rules related to the quilt show are provided on this page.
Participants may enter items in the quilt show in the categories listed below. The perimeter of an item is the total measurement of all four sides.
· Large Hand Quilted. All quilting must be by hand. Quilts may be machine or hand pieced, a combination of traditional piecing and appliqué, or appliqué. This will include whole cloth, embroidered, and cross stitched quilts. Minimum size: total 280” perimeter (for example, 60” wide x 80” long or larger). Prizes: 1st place $500, 2nd place $250, 3rd place $125
· Small Hand Quilted. All quilting must be by hand. Quilts may be machine or hand pieced, a combination of traditional piecing and appliqué, or appliqué. Minimum size: total 97” perimeter to maximum size 279” (for example, 60” wide x 79” long). Prizes: 1st place $150, 2nd place $75, 3rd place $50
Large Machine Quilted. Quilts may be of any design or pattern.
Small Machine Quilted. Quilts may be of any design or pattern.
· Miniature Quilts. Quilts may be of any design or pattern. Maximum size: total 96” perimeter (for example, 24” wide x 24” long or smaller). Prizes: 1st place $75, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25
· Youth K-12. Any quilted item with consideration given to projects completed totally by the youth. Prizes: 1st place $30, 2nd place $20, 3rd place $10
· Hand Quilted Collaboration Quilts. Quilts made by two or more people. Prizes: 1st place $100, 2nd place $75, 3rd place $50
· Machine Quilted Collaboration Quilts. Quilts made by two or more people. Prizes: 1st place $75, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25
· Quilted Accessories/Household Items. Quilted items to be worn or used in the home. Prizes: 1st place $75, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25.
· Viewer’s Choice. The quilt receiving the most votes from show visitors will receive a ribbon.
· Display Only Quilts. We accept quilts for display only on a first-come first-served basis, as space is available.
1. To enter a quilt in the show, bring or mail your quilted item along with a completed entry form for each project to the Quilt Shoppe during the dates for entering accepting quilts. The deadline for the receipt of quilts is 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 26, 2017.
2. Entry forms are available from the Quilt Shoppe or printed from our website www.contentedheartquiltguild.org. Be sure to use a form for 2017 Quilt Show.
3. Participants may enter a maximum one quilt in each category.
4. Any item that was entered in the show within the last three years may not be entered this year.
5. Quilts must be completed and quilted by the person(s) named on the entry form.
6. Deliver each quilt in a pillowcase or a cloth bag made to hold the quilt. (Make a label and write your name and phone number on it. Sew it to the outside of the case.) Be sure the label is visible, and use a draw string to close the pillowcase securely. NO PINS, PLEASE.
7. Quilts are required to have a label sewn to the back of the quilt with the name and phone number of the owner.
8. All quilts are required to have a sleeve stitched across the width of the upper back edge. (Quilts with sleeves that are pinned on will not be accepted.) For all quilts except miniature quilts, use a 4 inch sleeve. For miniature quilts, make the sleeve at least 1 1/2 inches.
9. Participants desiring to sell their quilts may indicate this on the entry form. Interested individuals will be referred to the quilt owner.
10. During the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 23, 24, 25, and 26, 2017, we will accept quilt entries for the show at the Quilt Shoppe, 24 N. Main Street, Monticello, KY 42633.
11. If you are hand delivering your entries, you will receive a delivery receipt. You will need to present this receipt when picking up your quilts.
12. If you mail/ship your quilt, enclose a completed entry form with each quilt. You will be notified by phone upon receipt. Send a sturdy box for returning your quilt, along with a pre-paid shipping label. Insurance coverage is your choice and responsibility. Please tell your shipping carrier to include your desired amount of insurance with your pre-paid shipping.
13. If you are hand delivering your entries and want them returned by mail, follow the above instructions.
14. If you mailed your entries and are picking them up in person, you will need to present a photo ID.
15. Quilts must remain on display throughout the show. Plan to pick up your entries between 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 2, 2017. Any quilts not picked up will be taken to the Quilt Shoppe and may be picked up later.
· The theme for the block contest is Nature Takes Flight.
· The blocks become property of the Contented Heart Quilt Guild.
· Overall appearance, illustration of the theme, design, use of color, workmanship, and fabric choice are the criteria used to judge entries.
· Prizes will be awarded in three categories. The winner in each category will receive a cash prize of $30 and a blue ribbon. Categories include:
o Hand pieced and/or appliqued block
o Machine pieced and/or appliqued block
o Best illustration of the theme: Nature Takes Flight (any technique)
Challenge Block Contest Rules
1. Use any pattern of your choice to construct a 12 1/2” unfinished block (for a 12” finished block).
2. Do not quilt the block.
3. Use good quality 100 percent cotton fabric.
4. Fabric must be washed before sewn.
5. Participants must purchase a kit for $3, which contains background fabric and two green fabrics required for the block. Participants will provide their own fabrics for the rest of the block. (If the kit is mailed, the cost is $5.)
6. All blocks must be clean and pressed when finished and turned in to the guild.
7. You may enter two (2) blocks. Each block must have a completed entry form which is available at the Quilt Shoppe or may be printed from our website www.contentedheartquiltguild.org. The deadline for receipt of entries is 4:00 p.m. EDT on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
8. Hand deliver or mail your Challenge Block Contest entry to the Quilt Shoppe, 24 N. Main Street, Monticello, KY 42633.
Copyright 2010, Contented Heart Quilt Guild
v v v